I have been researching how to create a good writing habit for myself, as it is a skill that I would like to improve upon. According to a number of sources, the following suggestions should help you to do just that.
- Read a wide variety of both authors and subjects to get as much exposure to writing styles as possible.
- Build a writing ritual, by using a particular location, soundtrack, smell, drink, or anything that puts you in the mindset to write.
- Set a word count for that session.
- Do not edit as you write, do that afterwards.
- Keep the creative momentum going.
- Realise that your first and final drafts will not necessarily look anything alike.
- Read what you write out loud as rhythm is very important to writing.
- Keep things simple. (KISS)
I will use these tips together with some writing challenges from various writing sites to try and increase my skills.